Our people work differently depending on their jobs and needs. From home working to job sharing, visit the remote and flexible working page on our website to find out more.
This role is based in India and as such all normal working days must be carried out in India.
Join us as a Data Engineering Lead
- This is an exciting opportunity to use your technical expertise to collaborate with colleagues and build effortless, digital first customer experiences
- You’ll be simplifying the bank through developing innovative data driven solutions, inspiring to be commercially successful through insight, and keeping our customers’ and the bank’s data safe and secure
- Participating actively in the data engineering community, you’ll deliver opportunities to support our strategic direction while building your network across the bank
- We’re recruiting for multiple roles across a range to levels, up to and including experienced managers
What you'll do
We’ll look to you to demonstrate technical and people leadership to drive value for the customer through modelling, sourcing and data transformation. You’ll be working closely with core technology and architecture teams to deliver strategic data solutions, while driving Agile and DevOps adoption in the delivery of data engineering, leading a team of data engineers.
We’ll also expect you to be:
- Working with Data Scientists and Analytics Labs to translate analytical model code to well tested production ready code
- Helping to define common coding standards and model monitoring performance best practices
- Owning and delivering the automation of data engineering pipelines through the removal of manual stages
- Developing comprehensive knowledge of the bank’s data structures and metrics, advocating change where needed for product development
- Educating and embedding new data techniques into the business through role modelling, training and experiment design oversight
- Leading and delivering data engineering strategies to build a scalable data architecture and customer feature rich dataset for data scientists
- Leading and developing solutions for streaming data ingestion and transformations in line with streaming strategy
The skills you'll need
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to be an expert level programmer and data engineer with a qualification in Computer Science or Software Engineering. You’ll also need a strong understanding of data usage and dependencies with wider teams and the end customer, as well as extensive experience in extracting value and features from large scale data.
We'll also expect you to have knowledge of of big data platforms like Snowflake, AWS Redshift, Postgres, MongoDB, Neo4J and Hadoop, along with good knowledge of cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure
You’ll also demonstrate:
- Knowledge of core computer science concepts such as common data structures and algorithms, profiling or optimisation
- An understanding of machine-learning, information retrieval or recommendation systems
- Good working knowledge of CICD tools
- Knowledge of programming languages in data engineering such as Python or PySpark, SQL, Java, and Scala
- An understanding of Apache Spark and ETL tools like Informatica PowerCenter, Informatica BDM or DEI, Stream Sets and Apache Airflow
- Knowledge of messaging, event or streaming technology such as Apache Kafka
- Experience of ETL technical design, automated data quality testing, QA and documentation, data warehousing, data modelling and data wrangling
- Extensive experience using RDMS, ETL pipelines, Python, Hadoop and SQL