Join us as an Engineering Apprentice
- Join our apprenticeship programme, where you’ll be completing an externally accredited programme to set you up with excellent career prospects
- You’ll be joining our Engineering team, who’ll give you all the technical training you’ll need to be successful in your role
- This is a great opportunity to take ownership of your career path and build a network across the bank
What you'll do
You'll be part of a multi-skilled team, working directly with the data centre building services shift technicians who sustain the key technology systems that provide banking services to our customers. You'll be assisting with the operation and maintenance of the mechanical and electrical data centre critical systems supporting the 24/7 uptime of key technology equipment, including the planned maintenance and repairs of existing equipment and the installation of new components.
You’ll receive support every step of the way, with guidance, training and mentoring to help you reach your full potential. Your line manager will set you up with goals and an individual learning plan, to help you to complete professional qualifications or technical training that you’ll need to be successful in your role.
You’ll also be:
- Completing your learning plan on time, which may include passing exams, submitting workbooks and providing evidence of your development
- Working closely with your apprenticeship learning provider and developing positive relationships with a wide range of colleagues
- Developing your knowledge and capabilities to undertake the job
Your apprenticeship will last four years, with your first year being based predominately at Edinburgh College and Midlothian Campus. Your second and third years will be based on site with a day at college each week, and you'll spend all of your fourth year on site.
The skills you'll need
We’re looking for a strong communicator with the ability to build great working relationships. You’ll be a good problem solver, with an added ability to think analytically and logically and adapt well to change. Crucially, we’re looking for people with a passion for learning and high levels of determination, motivation and drive to succeed.
We'll also expect you to have a minimum of three Highers, or equivalent, in subjects including Maths, English and a Science, along with a genuine interest in electrical engineering.
You’ll also need:
- The ability to manage your time effectively and prioritise your work
- A proactive and inquisitive mindset, with the ability to challenge and offer solutions
- Strong numerical and logical skills
- The ability to maintain a strong customer focus
- An innovative and creative mindset
How we'll reward you
Salary: Your salary will be starting from £19,125 per year (pro rata for hours worked)
You’ll join on a competitive salary of £19,125 (which is £10.50 per hour) and in addition you’ll receive money to help you save for retirement. You can choose from a range of protection, healthcare or lifestyle benefits from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
You'll have a generous holiday entitlement of 33 days. (pro rata for hours worked) – you may be required to work Bank Holidays.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you’re eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we’ll do everything we can to help.