Our people work differently depending on their jobs and needs. From home working to job sharing, visit the remote and flexible working page on our website to find out more.
This role is based in the United Kingdom and as such all normal working days must be carried out in the United Kingdom.
Join us as a Legal Counsel
- This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic and collaborative team and gain a rare insight into how we operate at the heart of the bank
- You'll gain significant exposure across all our businesses as you deliver our legal strategy on a variety of strategic projects and initiatives not just capital raising transactions
- This role offers the advantage of a varied and extensive breadth of work, where you’ll find solutions to varied challenges on a wide range of matters
What you'll do
You’ll be providing legal advice and support across multiple business areas focussing on advice and document review on debt capital markets transactions. You'll make sure that your advice is accurate, readily understandable to non-lawyers, delivered at the right time, and remains commercial while minimising legal risks.
You’ll also support the Head of Treasury, ESG & Disclosure Legal to deliver the legal strategy across the bank. This will involve working with senior stakeholders across the bank and its subsidiaries to ensure the timely, effective, and efficient delivery of not only funding initiatives but also other projects and strategic initiatives.
Day to day, you’ll be:
- Striving for continuous improvement in the operating practices and processes, including identifying efficiencies, improvements, and opportunities to reduce costs
- Managing legal costs using e-billing, auctions, and other tools, and driving a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
- Attaining high performance standards with a focus on development opportunities and proactive succession planning
The skills you'll need
To join us in this role, you’ll need to be a qualified solicitor , barrister or attorney with some experience in debt capital markets. You’ll have experience of working with law firms and other professional advisers, along with solid industry knowledge of the legal and regulatory issues currently facing banks.
Ideally, you’ll have expertise with bank regulation and/or managing litigation and reputational risks
We’ll also be looking for you to demonstrate:
- The ability to recognise issues of strategic, legal, or reputational importance and assess how they should be resolved
- Strong commercial awareness and analytical skills
- The ability to build rapport and establish strong relationships, especially with senior colleagues
- Knowledge of bank capital structure and regulation, ideally in the UK with international outlook
- Knowledge of bank treasury activities and the commercial and regulatory environment within which it operates
Given the skills and experience outlined above, this role is likely to be suitable for someone in the region of 3 years PQE. However, this is for guidance only, and any candidates with the appropriate skills will be considered.
If you need any adjustments to support your application, such as information in alternative formats or special requirements to access our buildings, or if you’re eligible under the Disability Confident Scheme please contact us and we’ll do everything we can to help.